With the new version, Mumble introduce the Opusaudio codec, Windows 8 support and many other improvements over our last stable release (see the Mumble 1.2.4 wiki page for more information). Opus is now the primary audio codec of choice for Mumble.
Mumble is a voice chat application for groups. While it can be used for any kind of activity, it is primarily intended for gaming. It can be compared to programs like Ventrilo or TeamSpeak. People tend to simplify things, so when they talk about Mumble they either talk about “Mumble” the client application or about “Mumble & Murmur” the whole voice chat application suite.
- High quality, low latency Voice communication
- Efficient server software
- Free and Open Source – no hassle before or after setting up
- Powerful API through Ice middleware – for numerous programming languages
- Positional Audio in games – hear your teammates from the direction they stand in
- In-Application Overlay – see who is listening and talking in-game