The Extended Mutation System, Linux support, and other features and fixes are moving to Left 4 Dead 2 proper. Thanks to everyone who helped test all the changes in the Beta Build. You can find a complete list of changes below.
The Linux conversion is ready for primetime so we are opening it up to more people and releasing it officially on Steam. This will let us get feedback on more builds and distros.
Some of you may have noticed a quick update to your game last week. That was our conversion over to SteamPipe. For L4D2 it was quick and painless as our system was already using VPKs. What does this change mean? For server operators there is an easier update path and smaller downloads. For clients, we have improved the downloading experience and you can now install L4D2 on any drive. You can get more details on the support page.
Extended Mutation System
The EMS takes the current idea of mutations and mutates it into a powerful tool for modders. They have been busy at work creating a bunch of new Mutation and game modes that will begin to be uploaded to the L4D2 workshop today. With names like Vicious Infected, Boomer Peril, Stranded, Vampirism, Plague of the Dead, Zombie Run, and Tiny Terror, there is something for everyone.
Video by linuxgamecast
- Added the Extended Mutation System
- Included demo EMS modes Holdout, Dash, L4D1
- Added support for Linux
- Server operators can now specify whether or not custom content is allowed when playing on their servers. This can be set on a per game mode basis – see cfg/addonconfig.cfg for details.
- Fixed yellow screen corruption that occurs on AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series hardware.
- Updated database to include video cards from the Steam survey through April 2013.
- If a found game is using a Mutation add-on from the workshop, the “Download Add-on” button will open the workshop page
- Adjusted add-on sorting when loading the main menu so Mutation add-ons can override UI elements.
- Reworked add-on management to improve stability and properly support custom mutations.
- Fixed the download progress panel sometimes not updating because it was referencing a different file than the one currently downloading.
- Added a drop-down menu to the add-on screen to filter by tags.
- Fixed occasional focus problem when clicking on the Addons list panel.
- Allow keyboard scrolling of the Addons list panel.
- Fixed published file browser not updating after publishing new content.
- Fixed published file browser showing only the first fifty items of a users workshop.
- Fixed upload tool throwing an error when replacing an existing file, if the file size was greater than the available space in the cloud.
- Fixed upload tool sometimes showing an error dialog for files that had been deleted from worksho