Quake Live is a first-person shooter video game by id Software which runs on x86-based computers running Microsoft Windows via Steam. It was originally downloaded and launched via a web browser plug-in. On November 7, 2013 it was announced that Quake Live will drop browser support and become a standalone game. Windows is the only platform supported in the standalone version. Yet the open-source community comes to the rescue with ‘Quake Live Launcher’.
QuakeLive Launcher by FX – is a native standalone application to launch QuakeLive on Linux.
QLLauncher only works with Quake Live accounts which aren’t connected with Steam. If you have an account connected with Steam, you’ll have to create a new Quake Live account to be able to use QLLauncher.
- better Quake Live performance on Linux (it blocks awesomium_process, which causes lag and lower FPS, among others);
- automatically downloads / updates Quake Live;
- browse game servers with optional filters;
- join server by server ID or IP address;
- spawn your own server (this is a premium Quake Live feature);
- set mouse acceleration.
Installing stable versions
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:broken/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install qllauncher
Installing unstable versions
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:broken/unstable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install qllauncher
Quake Live Launcher – Linux